44095Re: [new_distillers] Re: Test for harmful substances in batch

  • Paul
    Aug 28, 2013

      I think the experts would say you are overplaying the methanol risk. Z Bob has stated here several times that methanol is only a danger when it is deliberately introduced to adulterate booze by unscrupulous persons. It occurred during the prohibition era in the US, and regularly makes the headlines in third world countries when large numbers of people drink it and get sick thus giving home-distilling a bad rap for the wrong reasons.

      Further, Bob recently stated it has been found that due to hydrogen bonding, and contrary to popular opinion, methanol is not readily concentrated and removed in foreshots and heads but appears across the distilling session. It could be this is one reason why distillers expose distillate to the atmosphere for a day or two - to allow remaining lighter volatilies to evaporate and disperse.

      If the many people here have not found methanol to be a particular danger, I'm not sure why it should be for you.

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic