43957Re: [new_distillers] Re: How to use new bigger keg

  • Zapata Vive
    Jul 24, 2013
      I think it's not size that is relevant, but power input.  Think about it like this, for say a gallon sized pot, say it takes an hour to boil it dry on a "medium" setting, so it is boiling off 1 gallon per hour.  If you want it to go faster, you have to turn it up to "high".  Putting a 5 gallon pot on the same stove, it will still boil off 1 gallon per hour on "medium".

      It's not going to take any longer because of your new pot size, it's because you are wanting to boil off more volume, but the same power input will always boil off the same volume (there will be minor differences due to wasted energy due to different pot sizes/shapes).

      So if you want to go faster, you gotta put in more power, be it higher wattage electrical, or higher btu's from gas.

      I can't speak to whether your thumper can handle more power, because I don't use 'em.  Nobody else can either because you didn't say how much power you are using now.  Also keep in mind that your condenser needs to be able to handle the increased power as well, and that is easily calculated with the various calculators and anecdotal reports.

      But in general, size isn't related to speed, power input is.

      As to whether you can get the same result from a partially/packed column, probably pretty close, but I imagine it will be pretty fidly to figure it out with a new setup trying to match your old one.  Just adding a column doesn't in and of itself do anything to address your complaint of time.  I'd say if your happy with single runs with a thumper, then go that route with your new rig.  Adjust power input, within reason, to match your desired speed, and make sure your thumper, condenser, and cooling water supply can handle your new power.

      On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 1:48 AM, kekedog13 <kekedog13@...> wrote:

      Hey ballard, I was told by someone on another site that if I increase the size of my pot and wash and nothing else that it would take that much longer to run due to it all going through the same size tubing.I'd be reducing the 2 inch size out of the keg down to the 3/8 size that goes through the thumper and worm.There are pics of it with the old smaller keg on the AD and MD sites.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ballard_bootlegger" <meriwetherdistilleries@...> wrote:

      > Hello!
      >
      > Just trying to visualize your new setup. You mention the run will take all day if you use the same thumper connection? Is it because the thumper is too small to effectively run faster or are you concerned that the 3/8" tube is too small for vapor?
      >
      > W.

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic