43821Re: Need a little guidance

  • cookin_e85
    May 23, 2013
      need a little more information. What kind of sugar wash (not mash, mash contains grains)
      what was your ABV of the wash when you started distillation?
      you say 3 gallon pot still but how much liquid in the still?

      very basic ABV is alcohol by volume. i.e. 140 proof is 70% ABV.

      You say 2 cups drinkable? before any cuts or after?

      Im still new to this as well I run typically 4 gallons of wash in a 15 gallon reflux still from a 4 gallon wash I get a return of about 4 quarts ish total take away fores, heads, n tails im down to about 3 ish quarts per 4 gallons of wash. with about a quart of true hearts.

      Hope this helps.. like I said im still new... but will lend input if I can.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "et_couldry" <et_couldry@...> wrote:

      > I have a simple sugar mash. I use a 3gal pot still. With a water heating element for cooking. I only seem to get about two cups of drinkable shine out. I also have trouble making cuts? I am 140 proof. What's the basic defantion of abv%? Evan

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic