      From: fatbloke <fatbloke@...>
      To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 10:08 PM
      Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re-Distilling

      My first still was a little 4 litre air still. I had some cloudy spirit that was 80% ABV.

      What I didnt know at the time was about using boiling stones or even broken glass to break up any larger bubbles.

      I saw that there was liquid on the kitchen surface and as I leaned over to kill the power, the still "burped" again.

      Thank god for the pbysical properties of alcohol, losing heat rapidly as it flys through the air. So only a "sunburn scald".

      Not the best way to learn about boiling stones/boil enhancers.......

      Luckily no harm done except the school of hard knocks......
      Ken Martin <ken2145@...> wrote:
      I have heard 50 percent ABV or higher in your boiler can cause an explosion. I never re-distill at higher the 80 proof in the can for safety. Ken
      On May 13, 2013, at 9:21 AM, fatbloke <fatbloke@...> wrote:

      Never heard that. I just let my spirit down to 40% or less before redistilling.
      allibugger <allibugger@...> wrote:
      I read in either Making Fine Spirits or The Compleat Distiller that when doing a spirit run or re-distilling a spirit run one should aim for a 29% ABV in the boiler. I am wondering where the 29% comes from? Why not 40% or some other percent of ABV? Thanks Alli

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic