43814Re: What barrel should i be looking for????

  • tgfoitwoods
    May 14, 2013
      I'm guessing that would work well, although perhaps not as quickly as
      when the wood itself is heated.

      ZBob on the road

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jsducote" wrote:

      > Do you think you could accomplish the same thing by putting "green"
      spirit into an old (thoroughly cleaned, of course) wine bottle with oak
      strips or chips, then drawing a vacuum on the bottle with a VacuVin or
      similar wine preservation kit? This would eliminate having to carefully
      handle a hot glass jar.

      > For those unfamiliar, VacuVin is a bottle-sized rubber stopper with an
      embedded one-way air valve. A small hand held pump is used to suck air
      out of the bottle through the stopper. The theory being that air in an
      unfinished bottle of wine will spoil it faster. A basic kit with 3
      stoppers and the pump typically runs $10-15.
      > Example- http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=40520735
      > -j
      >
      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hubble zymurgybob@
      wrote:

      > ...get a vacuum seal when the jar cools down.

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic