43808Re: What barrel should i be looking for????

  • allibugger
    May 13, 2013
      Blackhat, When storing moonshine for 30 days or so as noted below, what do you recommend covering the storage containers with to keep out the dust and bugs? Cheeze cloth or a couple of layers of paper towels are all I can think of. Thanks. Alli

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Blackhat-Whitedog <blkhatwhtdog@...> wrote:

      > American Distillers (a facebook page) had an article on Cleveland distillery who ages bourbon in...one week. they have a secret process which entails high pressure.
      >
      > the aging process seems to have a couple things going on. just sitting around the various chems seem to combine and mellow out (even moonshine should sit for at least 30 days) and/or some of the lighter and perhaps more noxious estars evapourate or leach out.
      >
      > the other is the infusion of the charred wood. this flavor is effected by the ratio of liquid to surface area of wood which is why smaller barrels age faster than smaller. also external weather is supposed to have some effect. freezing and heat seems to move the liquor into the wood and pulls it out/leaches out flavor componnets out of the wood.
      >
      > some have said that moving barrels into freezers and setting out in the sun helps this along. another idea is movement, frequent turning of the barrels. I thought an ideal storage place would be a boat in an ocean harbor where it rocks with the tide.
      >
      > I'm intrigued by the pressure idea. My first thought, using a pressure cooker sounds dangerous. maybe using a reticulated plastic jug (yeah plastic) with a lot of weight on it till it bulged. of course this means just charred chips and not a barrel.

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic