43801Re: What barrel should i be looking for????

  • ACE2
    May 10, 2013
      I understand that a smaller barrel will not perform as good as a large one.
      But my main question still is what second hand barrel would be best??
      One that has had port or something..
      I can really only fit a 10lt in my bar, will be for looks mainly.
      I have done the wood chips in the bottle before, but really after something to age for many months..

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, ben marks <nebskram@...> wrote:

      > well for me a small barrel was kind of a wast of money in my option there are a few issues with them that kind of make them not so much good using i have a 10 l one that looks real cook and sure is fun to watch the eyes light up when ur friends see you pore out a glass but... the sq inches of oak exposed to ur stuff is way way way off what u might think wile a 50 gallon barrel can sit for 20 years without over oaking i got the same oak flavor as say a good comparably available sour mash whisky like "jack" in about 2 mo and the angles share was about 20% of what i put in way to high as the staves cant be as thick as a real barrel i put water in it to see how long it would take to go dry it took 8.5 mo till there was les then 1 L left so the barrel looks real cool sitting on a shelf i dont use it any more i use oak chips or cubes from the brew store u can get them ether toasted or not and u can toast them in ur oven if u want more toast to them and i the run my propane over them to finish the char then soak them in what ever ur soaking till it taste right to you i use a 3 gal glass carboyi also keep a qt jar packed full with chips and soaking in what i am soaking them in put it on a back shelf for a few months and u will have oak extract and u can add about a ounce to a qt of clear stuff or to taste ...ben
      >

      > ________________________________
      >
      > Whiskey is What Beer Wants to Be When it Grows Up
      > ______________________
      >
      > Your Car is German. Your Vodka is Russian. Your Pizza Italian. Your
      > Kebab is Turkish. Your Democracy is Greek. Your Coffee Brazilian.
      > Your Movies are American. Your Tea is Chinese. Your Shirt is Mexican.
      > Your Oil is Saudi Arabian. Your Electronics are Japanese. Your Numbers are
      > Arabic, Your Letters are Latin. Your Cocaine is Colombian. And you
      > Complain that your Neighbor is an Immigrant?
      > _________________________
      >
      > To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      > From: i_brew_spirits@...
      > Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 10:11:57 +0000
      > Subject: [new_distillers] What barrel should i be looking for????

      > I have a reflux still and have been brewing for some years making vodka based spirits using brewcraft products.
      >
      > I would like to get hold of a barrel say 10lt and wishing to know what i should be looking for???
      >

      > Should i get a fresh one(new) or be looking for one that has had port or something like that in it???
      >

      > My plan is to get a batch of 40-45% mixed with a little flavour(50% diluted than normal)and age that in a barrel over time, may need to hide it from ones self!!
      >

      > I do like my scotch and normally drink the green label brewcraft scotch brand..
      >

      > any help would be great!!
      >

      > chris....

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic