43799Re: Total Newbie here

  • Jeffrey Embry
    May 9, 2013
      Thanks Bob,

      If I need a second attempt I will use your suggestions.   I like the yeast starter.  Will keep all apprised of progress.

      Jeff

      On Thursday, May 9, 2013, Bob Glicksman wrote:

      Jeff,

      Here are couple of additional tips:

      1.  Thoroughly clean and sterilize your equipment before making your wash and pitching your yeast.  Bacterial infection can cause the yeast to die before they take hold.

      2.  I always prepare a "yeast starter", a few hours ahead of main fermentation, as follows:  put 1/2 cup of water in a pyrex measuring cup and boil it in the microwave.  Stir in 2 tblsp of table sugar until completely dissolved and leave it to cool down to the temperature that the yeast provider specifies for rehydrating the yeast.  Add the yeast and stir well.  Cover loosely with wax paper and give a good stir every 15 minutes or so for 1 - 2 hours.  At this time, the sugar-water should be very cloudy with a nice head of foam at the top (this indicates that you have very healthy and robust rehydrated yeast).  When your big sugar-water wash is ready, add the yeast starter to it.  I have made many batches of wine and fuel ethanol from waste material this way and I have never had a failure of the main fermentation. Very occasionally, the yeast starter will fail -- so I just mix up another batch without compromising the wash.

      3.  When pitching the yeast or yeast starter, stir really well.  Loosely cover the fermentation vessel (no airlock yet) and give another good stir after 1 - 2 hours.  At this point, you should see a lot of foaming action from the yeast.  Now install the tightly fitting cover with the airlock for the main fermentation.

      4.  Make sure that you have LOTS of headroom in your main fermenter, as this procedure will more likely than not create very robust fermentation, with lots of foaming action.  Too little headroom and it will foam right out of the bucket/airlock and make a big mess (yes, I've had this happen to me too - with plum juice, no less!).

      Yeast has a complex lifecycle.  When yeast can feed on sugar in an oxygenated environment (aerobically), the yeast will reproduce wildly.  When the oxygen is depleted, the yeast will stop reproducing and make lots of alcohol.  The point of these tips is to get the yeast propagating aerobically so that it is strong and healthy and well acclimated to the wash prior to main fermentation.

      One last tip:  make sure that the yeast is turboyeast if you are using a sugar-water wash, unadulterated.  Turboyeast contains important yeast nutrients that are not found in plain old table sugar.  Turboyeast is also bred for the relatively neutral pH of sugar-water.  If you use wine yeast, brewers yeast, or even distillers yeast, you may need to add DAP nutrient to the wash and perhaps even a little acid (citric or otherwise) to lower the pH to make the yeast happier.

      Good luck,
      Bob