43797RE: [new_distillers] What barrel should i be looking for????

  • ben marks
    May 10, 2013
      well for me a small barrel was kind of a wast of money in my option there are a few issues with them that kind of make them not so much good using  i have a 10 l one that looks real cook and sure is fun to watch the eyes light up when ur friends see you pore out a glass but... the sq inches of oak exposed to ur stuff is way way way off what u might think wile a 50 gallon barrel can sit for 20 years without over oaking  i got the same oak flavor as say a good comparably available sour mash whisky like "jack" in about 2 mo and the angles share was about 20% of what i put in way to high as the staves cant be as thick as a real barrel i put water in it to see how long it would take to go dry it took 8.5 mo till there was les then 1 L left so the barrel looks real cool sitting on a shelf  i dont use it any more i use oak chips or cubes  from the brew store u can get them ether toasted or not and u can toast them in ur oven if u want more toast to them and i the run my propane over them to finish the char then soak them in what ever ur soaking till it taste right to you  i use a 3 gal glass carboy
      i also keep a qt jar packed full with chips and soaking in what i am soaking them in put it on a back shelf for a few months and u will have oak extract and u can add about a ounce to a qt of clear stuff  or to taste ...ben

      ________________________________

        Whiskey is What Beer Wants to Be When it Grows Up

      ______________________

      Your Car is German. Your Vodka is Russian. Your Pizza Italian. Your
      Kebab is Turkish. Your Democracy is Greek. Your Coffee Brazilian.
      Your Movies are American. Your Tea is Chinese
      . Your Shirt is Mexican.
      Your Oil is Saudi Arabian. Your Electronics are Japanese. Your Numbers  are

      Arabic, Your Letters are Latin. Your Cocaine is Colombian. And you
      Complain that your Neighbor is an Immigrant?

      _________________________

      To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      From: i_brew_spirits@...
      Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 10:11:57 +0000
      Subject: [new_distillers] What barrel should i be looking for????

      I have a reflux still and have been brewing for some years making vodka based spirits using brewcraft products.
      I would like to get hold of a barrel say 10lt and wishing to know what i should be looking for???

      Should i get a fresh one(new) or be looking for one that has had port or something like that in it???

      My plan is to get a batch of 40-45% mixed with a little flavour(50% diluted than normal)and age that in a barrel over time, may need to hide it from ones self!!

      I do like my scotch and normally drink the green label brewcraft scotch brand..

      any help would be great!!

      chris....

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic