43693Re: [new_distillers] Heads, body and tails

  • akjones1966
    Apr 13, 2013
      The heads will smell similar to your wife's nail polish remover as it contains high amounts of acetone. The hearts (body) will smell like something good to drink. The tails will have an unpleasant smell not unlike a wet dog or wet cardboard. You can guesstimate the amount of hearts based on the amount of mash and its ABV (using initial and final specific gravity readings from your hydrometer). I would collect in small jars until you become familiar with your setup. Did you have a cold when you ran the still?

      From: johnschaerer@...
      To: "new distillers" <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 10:30:13 AM
      Subject: [new_distillers] Heads, body and tails

      Hi I am new to the group and to distilling
      I built a reflux still and on my first try I could not destinguish when the heads were finished and the body commenced. Both smell and tongue tip taste remained the same throughout
      I could destinguish the tails because of the rise in temperature
      Please could anybody help???

      Best regards
      John Schaerer

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic