4352Re: [new_distillers] Boiler insulation?

  • Dr. M. Legendre
    May 31, 1946
      On Mon, 01 Jul 2002 05:44:37 -0000
      "bobbafett00" <bobbafett00@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      > I want to insulate my boiler in the interest of decreasing the time
      > it takes to do a run.

      We can get a material here that is commonly known as 'aluminum foil bubble
      wrap'. It's constructed of a single layer of very strong bubble wrap,
      sandwiched between two sheets of mylar. One 1/4" layer of this material is
      purported to be equivalent to R-12.

      It can sometimes be found discarded by grocery stores - I am told that it
      is used in the packing of fresh berries and other perishable fruits. A
      local friend got over 20 square meters this way, for free.

      Adding a layer of this material noticeably improved both the temperature
      stability and efficiency of my column. It's very easy to work with and
      seems to be suitably heat resistant. I am thinking about adding a 'cap' of
      this material around the upper 1/2 of my boiler, to improve the efficiency
      of that component.

      -- Dr. M. Legendre
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic