      From: jsducote <jsducote@...>
      To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, March 5, 2013 11:30 AM
      Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Noobie thoughts

      Rather than feeding wort into your solar heater, I think you should keep the solar heater a closed-loop system and merely use it to heat your traditional still. If you put anything other than water (or water plus something like ethylene glycol) in it then you eventually have to drain it and clean it out. I bet your still is much easier to disassemble and clean. Lots of professional distilleries use super-heated steam to power their stills and I think you'll have better control over the temperature too.
      -j

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Richard Costa wrote:

      > I think I got this. All I need is to feed the wort in one end, shut it off, and then steam will come out the opposite end, harness it, and then use cold well water to condense it. It would also be quite safe with no flame and the pressure build up in this type of solar peaks at 9-11 psi. It seems almost too simple. I bet I could get 12+ gallons at a time.....jeez. What am I misssing?
      >
      > I have a vacuum tube array with 30 tubes, spa type, that probably hold about 3 liters each of water/fluid. The water turns to steam quickly on a sunny day, and even on an overcast day they get pretty warm. I know there is a way that this will work with distilling alcohol at a fairly heavy volume, now it's just a matter of how to arrange and collect the steam, and feed the mash liquid. A solar oven would also work but if I'm looking for volume....

    • Show all 30 messages in this topic