      From: tgfoitwoods <zymurgybob@...>
      To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, February 23, 2013 2:09 PM
      Subject: [new_distillers] Re: ok

      I think it's because so many of us started as winemakers and brewers, where it's important that whatever you bottle and put away for a while, at 4-14%ABV, needs to be pretty sanitary, and the smaller the fermenter (the hobbyists 5 or 6 gallons as opposed to a commercial 3,000 or 5,000 gallon) is harder to keep sanitary.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, RLB <last2blast@...> wrote:

      > I kind of wonder why we use airlocks too!  I watched a Seagram vid and they had a 10,000 gal vats room that were wide open.  Moonshines never seem to use them either.  My first guess would be wild yeast and bacteria.  Years ago, I made a sugar wine that was 19 abv and my containers were never sealed and used an airlock.  I will say one thing about using an airlock is that it keeps the odor down if you live in an apartment building.
      >
      > In my next experiment, I will test 5 gal. airlock sugar wash verses 5 gal sugar wash with a cover loosely placed on top.  I am waiting for warmer weather before using grains,so my windows can stay open 24/7
      >
      > Robert

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic