      From: "rdh2059@..." <rdh2059@...>
      To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, February 18, 2013 2:24 PM
      Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Just how dangerous is it?

      If the specific concern is with your alcohol burner, then there is some justification for concern. A lot of boats over the years have burned because of alcohol based stoves. One of the problems with alcohol burners is that alcohol burns with a blue flame that can be hard do see, so you may not realize you've had a leak and flame is spreading until you get secondary fires starting.
      Like others have said, you should probably replace the alcohol burner. Alcohol burns at a pretty low (relatively speaking) temperature. This will end up making the long distilling process even longer. Waiting for a "kettle to boil" is boring... Go with propane or a white gas (coleman) stove. They put out a lot of heat and are much more controllable...
      ahandyman59

      On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 22:46:51 -0000, "Mark" <stagof7@...> wrote:

      To take the plunge into distilling I got an alembic pot still with an alcohol burner as heat source. So far I've distilled a bit of water to try it out and check for leaks. A couple of people I've spoken to have warned me that the open flame alcohol burner is very dangerous. If I use tubing to direct the distillate from the condenser a foot or so from the flame is there really any danger?

      And "thank you" to all for the advice I've already received from the members here.

      Mark

      .

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic