43292Re: [new_distillers] Just how dangerous is it?

  • Jan
    Feb 16 10:44 PM
      On 17/02/2013 8:46 AM, Mark wrote:

      To take the plunge into distilling I got an alembic pot still with an alcohol burner as heat source. So far I've distilled a bit of water to try it out and check for leaks. A couple of people I've spoken to have warned me that the open flame alcohol burner is very dangerous. If I use tubing to direct the distillate from the condenser a foot or so from the flame is there really any danger?

      And "thank you" to all for the advice I've already received from the members here.

      Mark

      Hi Mark,
      Your biggest danger is distilling in an enclosed area and a still with a leak, pumping alcohol fumes out. Here in Australia we had such a scenario, the double garage landed 2 streets away. Luckily nobody was hurt.
      Always distill in an open but covered area. Alcohol fumes are as dangerous as petrol fumes.
      Cheers.

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic