43281Re: [new_distillers] Malting

  • John Rucker
    Feb 14, 2013
      I basically treat grains, corn, etc. like I do any all grain beer recipe and do the mash/lauter process, but then again I've been brewing for 30 years and have equipment to do it. For a 5 gallon batch, I use 1.25 quarts of water per pound of grain and let the grains steep for an hour at 155 F in a mash/lauter tun (aka a converted cooler), slowly drain off the liquid produced and re-run it through the mash tun and then sparge it by running 5 gallons of 180F water through the grain. Then I boil the mixture for an hour.

      Pretty much your basic all grain brewing, although many folks don't do the optional double mash and of course there are no hops involved.

      For cooling, the conventional methods are either an ice/water bath or a wort chiller (or plate chillers - even fancier and more expensive).

      What you might consider - and I've been brewing beer like this the past year with no issues - is to do it Australian "no chill" style and basically leave your hot wort in the fermenter, with the air lock in place to keep the bad stuff from getting in, and then adding the yeast the following day after it has cooled sufficiently.  Beer yeast is a tad more sensitive than the dried champagne yeast I've used for fermentation experiments so depending on when you create your mash, you may be able to add yeast later the same day. Me, I'm old and lazy and just add yeast the following morning.

      Here's a link or you can google "no chill beer"  Like I say, I've had no issues with a variety of beer types and I figure wash is considerably less picky than mash is.

      On Feb 14, 2013, at 1:07 PM, Bill Rogers <bill.rogers@...> wrote:

      to cool it, look at what the beer guys do for wort chillers and such.

      On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 9:19 AM, RLB <last2blast@...> wrote:

      Thanks!  I was hoping that malting all my grains would eliminate the cooking process because it will be very difficult for me to maintain grain temp at 150 F for an hour and then rapidly cool it to add yeast.

      Robert