43127Re: White Smoky-like haze in Vodka

  • Matthew Rick
    Jan 29, 2013
      Thanks for your thoughts on this. I called 5 Star Chemicals and I'm waiting to hear back from a tech expert...In the meantime I took a closer look at the active ingredient list. It seems you are correct that phosphoric acid is soluble in alcohol but "dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid" (which is 15% of the active ingredients) is fully soluble in water though only PARTIALLY soluble in alcohol! So I'm thinking with the higher purity of vodka in comparison to wine (40% vs 12-14%) I'm realizing a precipitate. SHIT! So, I think in the end I'll be trying to filter it out? I'm hoping 0.5 micron filter pads will do the trick...prob going to run it through at least twice.

      I'll try to update when I hear back from the Star San tech.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tgfoitwoods" wrote:

      > In truth, Matthew, now that I think about it, I've never StarSaned a
      > bottle for spirit storage, operating under the asumption that the spirit
      > itself was a better disinfectant than the StarSan. I StarSan the hell
      > out of beer bottles, wine bottles, jugs, carboys, polypails, and barrel
      > fermenters. On one occasion, when I needed to crush a small amount of
      > grapes without cracking the seeds, and before I owned a grape crusher, I
      > even StarSaned my feet, but I've never StarSaned a spirit bottle.
      >
      > Thinking about it, I'm hard pressed to imagine a condition under which
      > phosphoric acid and dodecylbenzene sulfonic acid, the active ingredients
      > of StarSan, could drop a precipitate.
      >
      > One of my favorite brandies was one I made from apricots, but I never
      > saw a precipitate with it.
      >
      > Sorry I haven't been much help. I'm just trying to gnaw off the answers
      > that aren't solutions, so we can get to the heart of the problem.

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Rick" wrote:
      > >
      > > Have you used StarSan to bottle clear spirits like the vodka I'm
      > having troubles with?
      > > I certainly dilute the vodka from the original 190 proof to 80 proof
      > for bottling strength and I use city tap water. I thought perhaps this
      > could be an issue but why then would so much more "sediment/haze" show
      > up in the first bottle (which would have had a relatively larger portion
      > of Star San sanitizer). I only stress this portion because the haze was
      > significantly more in this first bottle.
      > > It only took a few days for the first bottle to show the haze while
      > most others have taken about two weeks now. I used apricot juice as a
      > base for fermenting material...not sure that could be a problem though?
      > >
      > > Thank you for your insight!
      > >
      > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tgfoitwoods" wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I'm betting it wasn't the Star San, which is (highly soluble)
      > phosphoric
      > > > acid and a surfactant, like maybe a sulfonic acid. I've use StarSan
      > for
      > > > years, in all kinds of applications, and have never had a haze I
      > could
      > > > attribute to the StarSan.
      > > >
      > > > Is it safe to assume that you diluted your distillate from some
      > higher
      > > > ABV to drinking ABV, maybe 40-45%? If so, some waters will form a
      > > > precipitate when used to dilute higher-ABV spirit. For that reason,
      > > > always use supermarket distilled water.
      > > >
      > > > Since it sounds like it goes to the bottom quickly, it doesn't sound
      > > > like the organic, almost colloidal stuff that some kinds of washes
      > are
      > > > bad about making, The worst I've ever seen was from a macerated and
      > > > distilled peach schnapps.
      > > >
      > > > Is any of this fitting what you know about your haze?
      > > >
      > > > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller Making Fine Spirits

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic