43120Re: White Smoky-like haze in Vodka

  • tgfoitwoods
    Jan 29, 2013
      In truth, Matthew, now that I think about it, I've never StarSaned a bottle for spirit storage, operating under the asumption that the spirit itself was a better disinfectant than the StarSan. I StarSan the hell out of beer bottles, wine bottles, jugs, carboys, polypails, and barrel fermenters. On one occasion, when I needed to crush a small amount of grapes without cracking the seeds, and before I owned a grape crusher, I even StarSaned my feet, but I've never StarSaned a spirit bottle.

      Thinking about it, I'm hard pressed to imagine a condition under which phosphoric acid and dodecylbenzene sulfonic acid, the active ingredients of StarSan, could drop a precipitate.

      One of my favorite brandies was one I made from apricots, but I never saw a precipitate with it.

      Sorry I haven't been much help. I'm just trying to gnaw off the answers that aren't solutions, so we can get to the heart of the problem.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Rick" wrote:

      > Have you used StarSan to bottle clear spirits like the vodka I'm having troubles with?
      > I certainly dilute the vodka from the original 190 proof to 80 proof for bottling strength and I use city tap water. I thought perhaps this could be an issue but why then would so much more "sediment/haze" show up in the first bottle (which would have had a relatively larger portion of Star San sanitizer). I only stress this portion because the haze was significantly more in this first bottle.
      > It only took a few days for the first bottle to show the haze while most others have taken about two weeks now. I used apricot juice as a base for fermenting material...not sure that could be a problem though?
      >
      > Thank you for your insight!
      >
      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tgfoitwoods" wrote:
      > >
      > > I'm betting it wasn't the Star San, which is (highly soluble) phosphoric
      > > acid and a surfactant, like maybe a sulfonic acid. I've use StarSan for
      > > years, in all kinds of applications, and have never had a haze I could
      > > attribute to the StarSan.
      > >
      > > Is it safe to assume that you diluted your distillate from some higher
      > > ABV to drinking ABV, maybe 40-45%? If so, some waters will form a
      > > precipitate when used to dilute higher-ABV spirit. For that reason, I
      > > always use supermarket distilled water.
      > >
      > > Since it sounds like it goes to the bottom quickly, it doesn't sound
      > > like the organic, almost colloidal stuff that some kinds of washes are
      > > bad about making, The worst I've ever seen was from a macerated and
      > > distilled peach schnapps.
      > >
      > > Is any of this fitting what you know about your haze?
      > >
      > > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller Making Fine Spirits

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic