43106Re: White Smoky-like haze in Vodka

  • tgfoitwoods
    Jan 28, 2013
      I'm betting it wasn't the Star San, which is (highly soluble) phosphoric acid and a surfactant, like maybe a sulfonic acid. I've use StarSan for years, in all kinds of applications, and have never had a haze I could attribute to the StarSan.

      Is it safe to assume that you diluted your distillate from some higher ABV to drinking ABV, maybe 40-45%? If so, some waters will form a precipitate when used to dilute higher-ABV spirit. For that reason, I always use supermarket distilled water.

      Since it sounds like it goes to the bottom quickly, it doesn't sound like the organic, almost colloidal stuff that some kinds of washes are bad about making, The worst I've ever seen was from a macerated and distilled peach schnapps.

      Is any of this fitting what you know about your haze?

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Rick" wrote:

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Rick" wrote:
      > >
      > > Just got done bottling up some vodka! However, I've noticed a light, white colored haze collecting on the bottom of each bottle. Not positive what it is but I'm thinking it was from using Star-San sanitizer. The bottles were drip dried but definitely not fully rinsed of the sanitizer. I'm assuming this was the issue because I noticed a large amount of haze collecting on some of the first vodka run through our tube for filling. I set that aside since it is probably got a relatively larger amount of sanitizer in it.
      > >
      > > Wondering if anyone has had any other problems with Star San like this?
      > >
      > > What does everyone else use to sanitize they're bottles before filling with vodka? Potassium/sodium metabisulfite like in wine?
      > >
      > > I'm going to try and filter it out with a buon vino filter I have for winemaking. Hoping that will correct the problem. Any thoughts?
      > >
      > > I feel like I've used Star San previously without any issues which is why I'm looking for more insight. From what I've described with the first bottles being more cloudy it seems like it would definitely be the issue? But why wouldn't it have happened before!? When you shake up the vodka it dissolves again...
      > >
      > > Thanks for everyone's help ahead of time!
      > >

      > Want to also note that I used tap water for diluting the vodka to bottling strength. I used the filter then too before bottling.
      >
      > Anyone ever use One-Step to clean/sanitize their bottles?

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic