43042Re: Odor from first stripping run, disappearing

  • ballard_bootlegger
    Jan 22, 2013
      Robert,
      By your description those smells are most likely foreshots, the most volatile compounds in your distillation run. They evaporate the fastest so it makes sense that the smell would be dissipating. It's important to remove these compounds from anything you will be consuming. That's the shit that will make you go blind and give you the jake leg. :-) It's pretty easy to separate, just toss anything that smells like glue, astringent, nail polish remover, or ammonia.

      Drink Well
      W.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "last2blast" wrote:

      > So far, I have collected just under 1 full gal. of alcohol from my stripping runs. When I placed this alcohol into 1 qt glass jars, it smelled like turpentine or glue. After a week in these glass jars, its dreadful odor has reduced substantially.
      >
      > Is this decrease in odor normal for all processed alcohol?
      >
      > Robert

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic