43038Re: Odor from first stripping run, disappearing

  • tgfoitwoods
    Jan 21, 2013
      Robert,

      Since smells good or bad is partly subjective, that may be a possibility on your part, but definitely during the first few days, the lighter harsher fractions will decrease with time exposed to air, which is why we recommend a bit of time before evaluationg your fractions (making the cuts).

      On the other hand, if there is lots of heads in what you've collected, yes it will be stinky at first, but time will help some.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "last2blast" wrote:

      > So far, I have collected just under 1 full gal. of alcohol from my stripping runs. When I placed this alcohol into 1 qt glass jars, it smelled like turpentine or glue. After a week in these glass jars, its dreadful odor has reduced substantially.
      >
      > Is this decrease in odor normal for all processed alcohol?
      >
      > Robert

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic