43020Re: [new_distillers] Aeration

  • Fredrick Lee
    Jan 20, 2013
      So how do the big breweries get consistent results with high replication numbers yeasts?                            D

      1.) House strains become accustomed to their environment and a certain flavor "profile" develops, but the yeast strains will continue to mutate until the most beneficial mutations are established.  Breweries with house strains must have consistent processes and ingredients to ensure the strain remains consistent as possible.

      2.) Large breweries (and even small ones like ours) maintain a yeast lab where they keep a library of pure cultures of the strains (in sealed test tubes called slants). When the 11th batch goes out the door on the production line, the yeast lab prepares another pure strain from a slant on a Petri dish or culture flask, and subsequently grow it up until its big enough to pitch. In our case we grow it up to about 10 gallons, and pitch it into ~300 gallons.  What comes off that 300 gallon tank is used about 10 more times. Myself and our brewmaster (and a few others) can start noticing a very subtle change in the flavor around generations 5-6. The gas chromatograph in our lab also shows these differences, but 99% of people will not be able to tell, or if they can tell, it's not too much of a difference that they'll think the beer is defective.

      3.) Somewhere during the culturing phase, we'll select the colony from a petri dish and make a dozen or so new slants.  People also sell and trade slants.  This way, we can have access to hundreds of strains from all over the world.

      On Jan 20, 2013, at 9:38 AM, o1bigtenor <o1bigtenor@...> wrote:

      On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 7:14 AM, Fredrick Lee <fredrick@...> wrote:

      No after 16 it's changed so much that the strains are completely different you can barely even tell they were related without mitochondrial DNA testing.

      Thank you for clarifying!

      So how do the big breweries get consistent results with high replication numbers yeasts?                            D

    • Show all 30 messages in this topic