42925Re: [new_distillers] Re: Temp

  • Alex Netherton
    Jan 2, 2013
      I think you will find that yeast is pretty much anaerobic. As soon is it begins to produce carbon dioxide, respiration is anaerobic anyway.

      Chris Riddiford wrote:

      Wow fair enough, that would explain it then, thanks for the help maybe ill keep it more simple and fine an easy spirts recipe to follow

      On Jan 2, 2013 3:54 PM, "tgfoitwoods" <zymurgybob@...> wrote:

      Chris,

      Two things strike me about your fermentation. First, when you boil the water, you drive out all the oxygen that the yeast needs to multiply, making the yeast's job very hard. You need to aerate/oxygenate the water before you pitch the yeast. This can be done by agitating the liquid with a whisk or a drywall mud stirrer (depending on the amount of wash you have) or by using an aquarium airstone to bubble air or O2 through the wash.

      Second, I hear no mention of yeast nutrients in your wash. Yeast does not live by sugar alone. Your local homebrew supply should have a couple-three kinds of yeast nutrient, or you can use DAP (di-ammonium phosphate) or Miracle-Gro or compound your own.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Chris Riddiford wrote:

      > Okay fair enough but this raises a rather annoying question. For the second
      > time in a row my fermeting process hasn't really happened, I've chucked in
      > my dextros and carbon packs to boilling water then waitted till the temp
      > was 21-24 degress before adding my turbo yeast.
      >
      > It just seems to foam up and nothing else.

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic