42891Re: hydrometer reading

  • Cal Anderson
    Dec 28, 2012
      Hello
      The wash that I make.
      I start with 1 pound of malting rye and 1 pound of malting barley, ground.
      I place it in my fermenter and pour in 2 ½ gallons of water at 180 degrees.
      I let set for ½ hour then add 14 pounds of sugar, then fill up with cool water. When the temp is about 80 I add the yeast. I use a whiskey yeast.
      I let it work for about 2 weeks then run through the still.
      I filter it and place it in milk jugs with charred white oak and a small amount of cherry wood.
      When finished it is like a Irish whiskey.
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic