42868Re: Help with decision

  • tgfoitwoods
    Dec 6, 2012

      My first question would be, "What kinds of spirits do you want to make?". Although there are some in-between compromises you can make, generally speaking people who wish to make vodka use reflux stills to get as pure as possible ethanol-water azeotrope, a mixture of ~96% ethanol and 4% water. People who wish to make whiskey, brandy, and rum generally use potstills to get the flavor (read impurities) they want. If you don't want a pure reflux or a pure potstill, you'll need to define how you want to work that in-between distilling.

      Because they are a supplier of both kinds of stills, you owe yourself a look at Still Dragon's incredible modular equipment. Still Dragon is a company in China owned by a Texan who has become a friend of mine (full disclosure), with designs by Canadian and US engineers who are also distillers, and testing by the hobby-distilling community. This modularity is one way around buyin one kind of still setup and then changing your mind later; you can re-use the parts to build something different.

      Warning, the first equipment you'll see on the site is their high-end stuff, and probably pricey.

      To hear its users, Still Dragon quality seems to be incredible. The stuff certainly is beautiful.
      http://www.stilldragon.com/   and the American distributor is here: smaug@...

      If you'd like, I can pass all this posting from you and me to smaug. He's a fellow distiller on another forum.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Claude" <cnapier@...> wrote:
      > Greets.....I love reading the posts in this post....awesome.
      > I have a question. I have Multiple Sclerosis....I wanted to build my own still and rig. This isn't possible given my condition.
      > My kids want to buy me a rig for Christmas.
      > If you had/were to buy a complete rig.
      > What would you buy?
      > And from where?
      > Many thanks.