      From: Nathan Koch <nkoch123@...>
      To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 9:35 PM
      Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Gasket Material

      Go to http://www.mcmaster.com/. They have all types of rubbers and sizes. Its very easy to find what you want because the give examples for use of the material. And they have warehouse all over the place.
      On Oct 23, 2012 5:37 PM, "JerryM" <jkmccull@...> wrote:

      I use a still that I fabricated from a 15 gallon beer keg. When I install the still head, I use a cork gasket made from material that I bought at an automotive parts store. The cork is thicker than most cork and is not cheap.

      I have discoverd that after a run if the cork gasket drys out, it will shrink and become un-usable. So to prevent that, I store the gasket in water. I have tried tap water, distilled water and water with Clean-Pro(distillers disinfectant). Eventually the gasket gets slimey. Does not smell, but it is kinda of icky.

      I am not sure if the slime is a problem, just seems unhealthy to me. Anyhow, does anyone have any suggestions on a different gasket material or another way to store the gasket that avoids the slime?

      Neophrene and similar gasket material that I can find locally is too thin to get a good seal.

      Thanks

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic