42709Re: Pot still cap

  • johnjab01
    Oct 22, 2012
      Thanks for the reply Virgil,

      I played with the cap this weekend....I have it fitting nicely into the top of the still. I figure that I will use a flour paste to seal it up before a run.

      It looks kind of like a chimney cap/plug sticking out the top of the still. I crimped the edge that fits in the still. I still need to hit the local hardware store & see about a fitting to get vapors out. I was thinking of coming out the top with a 90 degree copper flare fitting of some kind, which would then attach to my 1/2" copper worm tube.

      I just like the idea of coming out of the top, because it a flat surface & would make it alot easier. Should I try to go with a large fitting & then neck it down, or do you think the vapor would find it's way out of a 3/4" dia. opening?

      To answer your question, I was planning on putting some vinegar & salt in the pot & run it hard to clean anything that may have gotten in there over the last 30...50....100??? years.

      I am going to leave the outside of the pot as-is. I dont want to polish off the history of the still.

      Thanks again for your help........JJ

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, virgil hoskins <varminteater2003@...> wrote:

      > Hi JJ,, that great that you found your top, and your on your way again
      > I was just a a shop tonight and seen a stainless steel dog water dish that would have worked
      > for a top,, so cool a copper pot sounds great ,, and for your question ,, your beautiful antique pot
      > pretty much had there liebig or steam cone/ or pipe came out the side to a thump keg and then to a cooling coil
      > and down into a barrel with water to cool the shine steam and then collected in jars or jugs.
      > just a good old family still.
      > now as you look farther into our stills you`ll find different still tops for different areas,,,
      > none were streight up pipes like the new reflux stills we have today.
      > my quetion back toyou is how are you going to clean your pot out before you use it ,, and how?
      > next ,, are you going to shine the outside as well or keep it antique?
      > virgil

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic