42546Re: Mandarins - Brew is deemed a success, now distilling.

  • MoSS
    Aug 7, 2012
      Interesting that the articles infers that bees, hornets, wasps and the like transfer this "wild" yeast.
      I did read many years ago that it was naturally bourne in the environment. No matter, it was present on the Mandarins.

      A further update, after the initial runs, I mixed both parts together, resulting in a cloudy mixture that reminded me of Ouzo & water.
      Then i ran a second distilling run containing 3L of mixed distillate with 1L of remaining wash (the lees so to speak). Not dis-similar to my rum recipe`.
      The resultant run is smooth @70% with high aromatics...just what the doctor ordered.

      > Wild yeast?
      >
      > See -
      > http://tinyurl.com/8etj3x8
      >
      > wal
      >
      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "MoSS" <mike@> wrote:
      > >

      > > Time for an update and notes for anyone who is interested in how the experiment concluded.
      > >
      > > Not being in a hurry, I let the wash brew out in an open top storage vessel. Surprisingly, it brewed faster than expected and with it's own natural yeast that must have carried over from the skins.
      > > I added 2kg of white sugar to increase the SG.
      > > The wash remained orange in colour with solids settling to the bottom of the barrel, rendering the tap useless for decanting.
      > >
      > > The wash is the sweetest smelling I have encountered, definitely carried the essential oils into the wash and as I have discovered into the heart as well.
      > >
      > > Using a 5L Pot Still, followed conventional methods and discarded the first 100ml, collected the heart of 700ml (approx.) @55% and 800ml @20%. Then discarded the remainder.
      > > The aroma is prevalent and stayed with the heart.
      > >
      > > I plan a 2nd run with the 20%, then mix with the heart and adjust to 45%.
      > >
      > > Use of Glucose as a thickening agent is being considered so it more closely resembles a liquor.
      > >
      > > So far a very succesful outcome and am heading to the closest Green Grocer for another 2 kg of Mandarins....at $2.99 a kg I can't go wrong.
      > >

      > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "MoSS" <mike@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > After due consideration, I quartered them and started to ferment them on pulp/pith and skin, will keep an eye on it for a week or 2 and follow it's progress. I haven't added sugar at this point.
      > > > My thoughts leaned toward it as a good red always spend time with the skin, so hopefully some of the essential oils will carry over as well.
      > > > Damn things are so cheap now @$1.79/kg I wonder why I planted it in the first place.

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic