42438Re: Mandarins - anyone made a brew?

  • MoSS
    Jun 27, 2012
      After due consideration, I quartered them and started to ferment them on pulp/pith and skin, will keep an eye on it for a week or 2 and follow it's progress. I haven't added sugar at this point.
      My thoughts leaned toward it as a good red always spend time with the skin, so hopefully some of the essential oils will carry over as well.
      Damn things are so cheap now @$1.79/kg I wonder why I planted it in the first place.

      > I noticed there is an Italian orange aquavita, I guess from juiced unsaleable oranges.
      > Look up tangerine wine - the tangerines/mandarins are just chopped up and fermented on the pulp.
      > wal
      >
      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tgfoitwoods" <zymurgybob@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I've never done a citrus wine, but I don't see how adding sugar is going
      > > to change the pH in any easily predictable way or direction. Sugar
      > > content and active acidity are pretty much independent of each other.
      > >
      > > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller Making Fine Spirits
      > > <http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob-books/making-fine-spirits/>
      > >

      > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "MoSS" <mike@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I'm gazing out at my Mandarin Tree which is crop heavy, there is no
      > > way we could eat our way through the crop, so the natural thing to is to
      > > convert it into a brew of some thing and distil it.
      > > >
      > > > Has anyone done similar even with oranges?
      > > >
      > > > I'm guessing that I'll need to top up with sugar to get it to the
      > > desired PH, apart from devising a method of juicing, the thought of
      > > using my feet isn't really appealing in the middle of winter.

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic