42416Re: [new_distillers] Can mash go bad after fermentation?

  • GGB
    Jun 4, 2012
      "...you will have to deal with spoilage organisms that my sour the mash."

      Having done a little reading lately on making vinegar, I can tell you it is really important to exclude oxygen from your mash to stop it going sour.

      A class of bacteria called acetobacter needs oxygen to respire and feeds on ethanol to make acetic acid as a waste product. That is how vinegar has been made for many, many years. Acetobacter are plentiful in the atmosphere and will naturally colonize your mash if open to the atmosphere.

      No oxygen = no sour.

      Paul
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic