      From: White Bear <sha_man_1@...>
      To: new_distillers <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tue, May 1, 2012 2:41 am
      Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: Higher Alcohols

        It depends on what type of still you are using.  With a pot still, you will NOT be able to remove the Propanol's totally it's just not that efficient.  With much experience it is relatively easy to remove most of them by making cuts by nose and tossing the first 50ml - 100ml per 5gallons.  Things get easier with a reflux still and LM (liquid management) under total reflux.
        As to knowing which layer is Propanol and which is Ethanol - I go by volume and taste.  Through experience, you will develop a "Taste" for the cuts and a nose for the scent of ethanol.  Here I must remind you not to be greedy, if your cuts run into each other so-be-it, it's going to happen.  This will ensure you are getting the finest product that your still will allow.
      White Bear