42230Re: beano in the mash

  • waljaco
    Apr 5, 2012
      In Poland they use potatoes with a high starch content! Even with a maximum of 20% fermentable material potatoes cannot match grain at about 60%. Most table potatoes have only a 10% fermentable content.
      Potatoes need to be cooked to rupture starch cells - any natural enzymes will be thus destroyed and thus need to be added to convert the starch to fermentable sugars.
      See -
      http://tinyurl.com/2ue7u
      wal

      > Willy,
      >
      > My first question is about your "reading about 4% ABV". What instrument
      > did you use to get an ABV reading from what may be a partially-fermented
      > wash?
      >
      > As far as converting the potato starch by "natural" means, specifically
      > avoiding commercial enzymes, I'd go for a good malted 6-row barley. If
      > you take care with conversion temperatures and pH, you should be able to
      > utilize the alpha- and beta-amylase enzymes in the malt to convert the
      > potato starch (after cooking the potatoes, from what I recall).
      >
      > Having said that, for years we've watched people on this list (and
      > others) try to make potato vodka, with great frustration and/or
      > dissatisfaction. Skilled or newby, the only person I've ever heard admit
      > to "success" is Pintoshine with his purchased enzymes, the link I passed
      > to you (last week?). We all know it can be done, but yield and
      > satisfaction may not make it worthwhile to you.
      >
      > Just one stiller's opinion.

      > <http://kelleybarts.com/MFS.html>
      >

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Frank B." <lostwilly929@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > I ended up using 3 tablets in a 3 gallon mash. It want ballistic for
      > about 12 hours and died. Nothing I tried brought it back, additions of
      > sugar, yeast, nutrient, B-12, and Epsom Salts (Mg SO4). after now 4
      > days I'm reading about 4% ABV. Tonight, after taps, I'll be adding this
      > mash to the compost pile. I'd really like to know how vodka like hooch
      > was made back when there wasn't a myriad of additives to confuse us not
      > so bright shiners. My intuition tells me to use only natural and
      > available stuff for my brew....the best source of natural amylase enzyme
      > is saliva... so, the next mash I guess I'm chewing up 5 or 10 pounds of
      > raw spuds. What do you guys think of that approach?

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic