42227Re: beano in the mash

    Apr 4, 2012
      To be honest, I don't see what the fixation is with potatoes. Maybe it's just popular belief? They are just a source of starch. So is flour, and any number of grains. Which were all used to make vodka in centuries gone by. Potatoes were only used as a last resort when the others were not available, or countries/regions couldn't grow grain.
      Same as potato starch was used to make bread when grain crops failed. Bit of trivia for you there (longtime baker here before I was a distiller). :)

      No matter the starch source, you still have to convert it to sugars. Then those sugars have to be converted to the simple sugar glucose before yeast can use them at all.

      Methinks the simplest no-fuss solution is to start with a sugar source in the first place! By all means, play with starches later if you've a mind to. BUT, only when you understand what the hell it's all about and what you can expect (low yields & a lot of work & failures for example).

      Think about this...commercial spirits producers would use sugar sources in a heartbeat, if not for laws preventing them.

      ====================================

      > Willy,
      >
      > My first question is about your "reading about 4% ABV". What instrument
      > did you use to get an ABV reading from what may be a partially-fermented
      > wash?
      >
      > As far as converting the potato starch by "natural" means, specifically
      > avoiding commercial enzymes, I'd go for a good malted 6-row barley. If
      > you take care with conversion temperatures and pH, you should be able to
      > utilize the alpha- and beta-amylase enzymes in the malt to convert the
      > potato starch (after cooking the potatoes, from what I recall).
      >
      > Having said that, for years we've watched people on this list (and
      > others) try to make potato vodka, with great frustration and/or
      > dissatisfaction. Skilled or newby, the only person I've ever heard admit
      > to "success" is Pintoshine with his purchased enzymes, the link I passed
      > to you (last week?). We all know it can be done, but yield and
      > satisfaction may not make it worthwhile to you.
      >
      > Just one stiller's opinion.

      > <http://kelleybarts.com/MFS.html>
      >

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Frank B." <lostwilly929@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > I ended up using 3 tablets in a 3 gallon mash. It want ballistic for
      > about 12 hours and died. Nothing I tried brought it back, additions of
      > sugar, yeast, nutrient, B-12, and Epsom Salts (Mg SO4). after now 4
      > days I'm reading about 4% ABV. Tonight, after taps, I'll be adding this
      > mash to the compost pile. I'd really like to know how vodka like hooch
      > was made back when there wasn't a myriad of additives to confuse us not
      > so bright shiners. My intuition tells me to use only natural and
      > available stuff for my brew....the best source of natural amylase enzyme
      > is saliva... so, the next mash I guess I'm chewing up 5 or 10 pounds of
      > raw spuds. What do you guys think of that approach?

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic