      Sent: Friday, December 02, 2011 8:06 AM
      Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Low wines yields after grain fermentation

      > Do you grind all to a flour consistency?
      >

      > Slainte!
      > regards Harry

      Thanks, Harry, it worked! After grinding to a flour consistenciy I got up to 2 liters at about 50% low wines and 700 ml. hearts at about 80% after spirits run. I also solved the filtering problem using a nylon fine mesh. Hard work, but good results.

      Now I have some new questions to you and all our forum whiskey makers:

      1. After mashing, in order to cool to yeast pitching temps, I let the mash rest overnight, but now I observed with great surprise that the fermentation started without adding any yeast! How is that possible. Wild yeast coming from the air? I remember that Gosseeyes who used to post around here some time ago mentioned that oldtimers added no yeast to their mashes, but in the understanding that wild yeast produce off flavors I added the usual WDY/AG of brewhaus. Rationale?

      2. Is there any way to get rid of lumping while mashing?

      3. In my last mash, accidentally a bug/insect briefly falled and actually touched the mash already fermenting. (something that maybe is hard to prevent in a shed). Should this batch be dumped (to prevent any nasty infection or will it be a safe to drink booze after distilling (knowing that no living organism can tollerate more than 20% alcohol)

      Thanks,

      Alex

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic