41343Re: [new_distillers] Mash Press

  • geoff burrows
    Sep 1, 2011

      Hi Adam,

      From what I’ve read on this forum red oak is very porous especially through the end grain so much so that you can literally suck water up through the end grain.  And for storing wine or spirit it’s a no, no.  It can leave spirit with an acrid sharp taste or so some have said who have tried it on these hallowed forum halls of knowledge.

      I would say as a fruit press were you are only extracting the juice red oak would be fineas juice is just passing through.  But  white oak is the very boyo’ for your job for spirit storage in barrels.  Type in red oak in the search bar in the messages section of new distillers and see what comes up

      Geoff
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic