41091Re: copper or stainless mesh?

    Jun 15, 2011
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "MonteK" <mlkreps69@...> wrote:

      > Hey guys, i was wondering if there is a differnence between using copper mesh or stainless. I'm just running sugar washes through a 2" stainless tower. I was using copper, but made my first run with stainless, and it didn't turn ou well(but that mite have been me). Also how often do i need to change it, or clean it? Thanks for your help

      No physical difference between the two. But there's a chemical difference. Copper mesh removes sulfides from your product, S/S mesh does not. That's why your 1st run 'didn't turn ou well'.

      If you have an all-stainless rig, put some copper mesh in the vapour path somewhere, like 1/2 the column packing. Hotwater backflush the column immediately after finishing your run. If storing for a while between runs (more than a week) pull the copper mesh and airdry or ovendry it.

      Many of us go the opposite route. Copper column and s/s mesh packing. Best of both worlds.