      To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      From: zymurgybob@...
      Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 19:53:26 +0000
      Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Mashing

      When you are comparing making beer and making barley whisky, the
      processes are almost identical, and the same principles apply. Of course
      whisky-wash beer has no hops, and beer has no way to get backset, but
      other than that, the comparison holds.

      Technically, "lautering" is draining the liquid off the spent grain, and
      "sparging" is rinsing that lautered, spent grain with additional hot
      water to get that last bit of sugar. For that beer recipe I sparge with
      enough additional water to get 7 gallons total wort, before the boil.
      For mashing barley, I've never gone longer than 90 minutes, and that's
      always been plenty. I've never worried about adjusting pH for mashing,
      but maybe I should with con and backset.

      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Gavin Flett <gavin_flett@...>
      > To Zymurgy an Adam,
      > Thanks for the replies, I am actually going for Whisky not beer but
      I'm sure that makes no difference the process is almost the same. I have
      been experimenting with using the backset, and although it's
      traditionally used in a corn mash I have been using it in barley. I am
      not sure if this is part of what's wrong (using it in a barley mash vice
      corn), but judging by what Adam said maybe my pH is too low as I have
      been increasing the amount of backset in each subsequent batch (I am up
      to using 50% now and will stop there).
      > One question I do have though, will I get a higher SG if I mash it for
      longer. Or do I just have to reach the 40 minute mark and that's as good
      as it's going to get?
      > And one Q for you Zymurgy, how did you manage to get more wort after
      sparging? Every time I do it I lose about 20% of my liquid to the grain,
      and no matter how long I leave it, it's disappeared.

    • Show all 21 messages in this topic