40796Re: Aeration

    Apr 6, 2011
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "brzdistiller" <brzdistiller@...> wrote:

      > I've seen a lot of people advising the use of an aquarium pump and stone, but was wondering how one goes about cleaning that porous stone?

      Don't use an ordinary stone. They're glued together. They will fall apart with exposure to alcohol. You need one of these...
      http://www.homebrewing.com/equipment/stainless-steel-air-stone.php

      > I've been using a blender or hand mixer to aerate my starter for a few minutes before pitching the yeast. After the yeast is introduced, I let it work for 24 hours in this mixture of sugar water and tomato paste than add it to the mash.
      >
      > Is this enough?

      I use 100gm yeast granulated to start a 60 litre ferment. I take a 2 litre jug, add 300-400 ml of 40C water, and 100ml of my prepared wort. Then add the yeast, dissolve it (use your hand to squeeze it into the liquid). Let it set for about 10 minutes and it will fill the 2-litre jug with froth. This is what I pitch into the wort. Then bag it or airlock it, your choice.

      The rationale is to re-hydrate the dried granulated yeast using a weak mixture of the wort environment it is to work in (too strong will shock the yeast), and have it warm enough to rapidly absorb the moisture and activate.

      It never fails with DGY, but don't do it with turbos. If using turbos, always follow maker's instructions.