40701Re: Aeration

    Mar 27, 2011

      Gavin,

      Only time will tell for your whiskey (if you can wait that long ;))...

      As far as testing for oxygen in your fermentation, all aquarium stores for fish have O2 testing kits that work just like a pH testing kit where you add chemicals and see what the color is,

      JB. aka Waldo.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Gavin Flett <gavin_flett@...> wrote:

      > So it may be as I had originally suspected, my wash has simply fermented out quicker than expected..
      > After reading that I would have say woops. It seems I am again misinformed as to the aerobic and anaerobic phases of the fermentation. In my attempt at making sure the wash had sufficient aeration (plus thinking that yeast growth can occur at least through the 48 hr period) I syphoned it from carboy to carboy twice (one each day) and making sure it had plenty of splash to try and get the oxygen in the mix plus mixing it to get the mash cap down etc, etc..... The yeast I am using is I think W-Yeast and it's a whiskey yeast from my local brew shop and i have experimented with varying temperatures with so far less than pleasing results. I am making my way up to an average temperature of 29C as i had begun in the low 20'sC
      > However the oldest batch I have aging right now is about 9 months. I have grown to like drinking 18 and 21 year scotch, so perhaps I have set the bar a bit high, however my goal is still to at least match those. The trouble I am having is, how do I know my product now will turn out delicious in 10, 12, 15 18 years. If anyone can let me know that I will be grategully indebted.
      > One more thing, how can I guage how many ppm of oxygen I am getting in my wash?

    • Show all 30 messages in this topic