40691RE: [new_distillers] Re: Aeration

  • Gavin Flett
    Mar 26, 2011
      That's outstanding information, thanks for that

      To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      From: bruichladdich44@...
      Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 15:31:56 +0000
      Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Aeration

      > One more thing, how can I guage how many ppm of oxygen I am getting in my wash?

      Using oxygen through a .5 micron ss stone I have been very happy with 60 seconds on a normal beer and 90 seconds on a big beer. If you're shaking/splashing the carboy, you can do it until you get tired.

      One thing I wanted to add was Wyeast did a presentation a few years back at our beer club meeting and when making a big beer (or wash if you will) say 14% and over, they strongly recommended aerating the wort on up to 2 minute oxygen blasts through a stone periodically in the initial stages of fermentation. Their testing found no off-flavors in the final beer so long as all added aeration was stopped by 50% of your expected final gravity. So if you have a 1.120 wort, you could effectively continue aerating it until you reach .070 or so, if you expect it to end around 1.010.

    • Show all 30 messages in this topic