40356Re: FIRST RUN

    Mar 1, 2011

      Hello Hdrk and Welcome to this fine hobby,

      What your missing is understanding the cuts in a distillation and what to keep and what to throw or away or reprocess.  A distillation is composed of 4 parts:

      First - the foreshots (first few hundred ml. or 1%) which contain acetone and methanol and is thrown away).  This you did sucessfully.

      Secondly, you have the heads (about 15% to 20%). These contain the highest amount of ethanol, but also contain congeners which are flavors. Now depending on what your making you either add some of these to your product or save them to redistill in the next batch.  If your making neutral vodka, then most distillers would try and keep any flavors out and put the heads in the redistilling jug.  If your making brown flavored product like whiskey, then most distillers would add more of these.

      Thirdly, you have the hearts or middle run (about 60% to 70%) which is the good stuff - keep this!!!

      Fourthly, you have the tails (about 15% to 20%).  These also contain fusel oils and sometimes will turn cloudy.  Again, these are treated just like the heads, put in the reprocessing jug if making neutral or some is added if making flavored.

      Making these cuts is where all the experience and practice comes to play.  You will get the hang of it eventually.

      Note: Depending on yeast strain and ingredients of fermentaion, these percentages may differ.  To get a full understanding of this and the various chemicals found in a distillation, please read Tony's section on distilling at: http://homedistiller.org/dtw.htm

      Again welcome aboard, best of luck and feel free to ask any questions.

      JB. aka Waldo.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "hdrk801" <hdrk801@...> wrote:

      > I did discard the first 250ml but then continued to distill up to 90 degrees.  I think I misunderstood the section of Home DIstilling under Distilling heading and "When to Finish."  It says to stop when the temp gets to 90-92 degrees.  I collected roughly in thirds and it was the last third that was milky. I guess I should not have bothered filtering it through carbon and should have just saved in to redistill in the next batch.

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic