39786Re: 1 inch Copper and 1 gallon barrels

  • tgfoitwoods
    Dec 30, 2010
      Hey, Gotmatt,

      If you're already an allgrain brewer, you've got the hardest part whipped. If I could make a suggestion, though? Make the barley malt whisky first. As you well know, barley's an easy grain to lauter and sparge. Anything containing much corn, on the other hand, gets a lot harder to work with. Gelatinizing (heating in liquid) turns cracked corn into a mucilaginous nightmare, at least to a barley brewer, and it requires a lot more technique. Rice hulls may turn out to be your friend, and liquid control gets really important.

      As for the still with 1" pipe, your vapor velocity will be kinda high, and I'd look at having multiple 1" risers to reduce that velocity, maybe bringing 3 or 4 of them together in manifold to the lyne arm. The good news is that 5' of riser is way too much for a potstill, IMHO. I've got about 18" of 2" on a keg-based potstill, and I think even that much is costing me some richness of flavor. (I think you may be confusing some reflux still designs with the potstilling you really need to do - 2 completely different animals). I've got the copper to make a 2" head with almost no riser (to reduce ambient-temp reflux), but I haven't finished it yet.

      Between McMaster Carr online for fittings, and my local (very smalltown) hardware store for cut-to-length 2" copper, I'm in great shape for still parts.

      It sounds like you and I agree on quality and flavor. I age in glass with splints cut and split from bourbon-barrel wood, heat-treated as appropriate to the whisk(e)y style. Barrels increase the difficulty quite abit, especially in small lots. I'd try the glass and oak splint method first, and oyu may never move on to barrels.

      Welcome and keep us posted.

      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gotmatt" <silva.matt@...> wrote:

      > Hello!
      >
      > I'm very happy to have found this forum and all the other distilling information out there. Its kept me extremely busy for weeks.
      >
      > I'm a long time all-grain brewer with hundreds of batches under my belt and have no idea why I haven't shifted to distilling yet. It's kind of embarrassing.
      >
      > I'm ready to create my still now, solely for the production of Kentucky-style Bourbon on new oak, then shifting to Scotch to age on used oak. I'm a very long-term thinker.
      >
      > The boiler for my still will be a 15.5 gallon stainless beer keg. The idea is to run 10-12 gallon batches through it for low-wines, collecting enough to do a spirit run for a 1 gallon center cut to age in a 1 gallon barrel until ready. Used barrels will eventually age Scotch in a Solera method.
      >
      > I'm limited here to 1 inch M copper pipe. I can buy a lot of it, but can't source (or afford the quantity) of anything bigger. My idea is to run about 5 feet of 1 inch up from the keg, then 3 feet of 1 inch up on a 45 degree from there, then angle down to a worm through water to a collection vessel.
      >
      > 2 questions:
      >
      > Limited to 1 inch pipe for 10 gallon batches for Bourbon and Scotch, would you recommend any different still design or length to achieve an excellent product? (Emphasis here on excellent product.) My hope is to age in the barrel at 62% with as much flavor as possible.
      >
      > Does anyone have experience with aging in the 1 gallon charred oak barrels, opinions, recommendations for where to purchase?
      >

      > Thank you!
      > Matt

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic