39457Re: strong yeast odor after fermentation

  • tgfoitwoods
    Oct 13, 2010
      Myrrdin,

      Whatever yeast you use, you need to make sure it gets proper nutrition.
      That's always important, but never so much so as with a sugar wash,
      which basically has zero nutrients. Turbo "yeast" is actually a mixture
      of some Frankenstein yeast strain and high-powered nutrients, so the
      nutrient issues shouldn't, in theory, be important.

      The MUM wash is good, in part, because the yeast is so happily well-fed.
      While I've not tried it yet, Waldo's JEM wash combines the great
      nutrition of the MUM wash with the frenetic activity of the energy
      drink, and should be a roaring success, replacing turbos handily. My
      neutral carboys are almost empty, so it'll be time for another
      potstilled sugar was set again and I want to try the JEM wash.

      Oh, yeah. I never clear my MUM wash, and it tastes great. A strip run, a
      spirit run with bicarb, and it's sweet and clean.

      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Myrrdin69" <rblindner@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Zymurgy,
      >
      > thanks for your response. I think EC-1118 is the next i will try.
      >
      > This time i prepared 3 batches with the before mentioned Black Label
      and they all smell like bread when starting the run and getting close to
      foreshots. It is somewhat funny that someone else mentione in the house
      the smell of fresh baked bread as soon as my setup was at temp to start
      collecting.
      > Even during collection the different collection containers held the
      smell -some stronger then others, until I decided to pour everything
      together and wait with separation for the reflux run.

      > I am more worried that this starts already during the fermentation
      process since the wash is not clearing at the end and shows a rather
      dense light yellow/brown color (reason for racking).

      > greetings
      >
      > Myrrdin

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic