39454Re: strong yeast odor after fermentation

  • Myrrdin69
    Oct 13 4:41 PM
      Hi Zymurgy,

      thanks for your response. I think EC-1118 is the next i will try.

      This time i prepared 3 batches with the before mentioned Black Label and they all smell like bread when starting the run and getting close to foreshots. It is somewhat funny that someone else mentione in the house the smell of fresh baked bread as soon as my setup was at temp to start collecting.
      Even during collection the different collection containers held the smell -some stronger then others, until I decided to pour everything together and wait with separation for the reflux run.

      I am more worried that this starts already during the fermentation process since the wash is not clearing at the end and shows a rather dense light yellow/brown color (reason for racking).

      greetings

      Myrrdin

      > Sorry about fat-fingering the previous!
      >
      > Myrrdin,
      >
      > I've never had trouble with offensive yeast odors in a sugar wash, but I
      > use Lalvin EC-1118 in a MUM wash to make neutral. When you say "yeast
      > smell", do you mean it smells like what came out of your Black Label
      > packet, which isn't all yeast by any means? I know some turbos cause bad
      > flavors when they ferment, but I don't know about Black Label.
      >
      > Does anyone else know?
      >
      > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
      >
      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Myrrdin69" <rblindner@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > hello everyone,
      > >
      > > i decided to check out the reflux process for a change.
      > >
      > > basic sugar wash consisted of 7kg sugar made up to 23 l tot volume
      > with water. added for experimention purpose 1 packet turbo yeast (black
      > label) for 48 hr fermention.
      > > Starting Temp: 96 deg F, SG 1.102, PH 4.5
      > >
      > > after 24hr:
      > > Temp: 86 deg F SG: 1022
      > >
      > > after 48 hrs:
      > > Temp: 80 deg F, SG 990
      > >
      > > after 72 hr when starting strip run:
      > > Temp: 80 deg F, SG 985
      > >
      > > run on PDA 2 setup as pot.
      > >
      > > Resulting destillate has very strong yeast smell. Is this normal?
      > > As i understand it, even a reflux run might not change this. Can
      > someone help?
      > >
      > > Thanks in advance
      > >
      > > myrrdin69

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic