39451Re: strong yeast odor after fermentation

  • tgfoitwoods
    Oct 13 12:06 PM
      Sorry about fat-fingering the previous!

      I've never had trouble with offensive yeast odors in a sugar wash, but I
      use Lalvin EC-1118 in a MUM wash to make neutral. When you say "yeast
      smell", do you mean it smells like what came out of your Black Label
      packet, which isn't all yeast by any means? I know some turbos cause bad
      flavors when they ferment, but I don't know about Black Label.

      Does anyone else know?

      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Myrrdin69" <rblindner@...>
      > hello everyone,
      > i decided to check out the reflux process for a change.
      > basic sugar wash consisted of 7kg sugar made up to 23 l tot volume
      with water. added for experimention purpose 1 packet turbo yeast (black
      label) for 48 hr fermention.
      > Starting Temp: 96 deg F, SG 1.102, PH 4.5
      > after 24hr:
      > Temp: 86 deg F SG: 1022
      > after 48 hrs:
      > Temp: 80 deg F, SG 990
      > after 72 hr when starting strip run:
      > Temp: 80 deg F, SG 985
      > run on PDA 2 setup as pot.
      > Resulting destillate has very strong yeast smell. Is this normal?
      > As i understand it, even a reflux run might not change this. Can
      someone help?
      > Thanks in advance
      > myrrdin69
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic