39335Re: brandy?

  • tgfoitwoods
    Sep 12, 2010
      Geoff,

      I was brought up in conflict. All around me, in the US, were corns, inches, feet, yards, ounces (both Troy and Averdupois), US gallons, furlongs, firkins, and all that stuff, but when I studied the sciences, it was all metric (later to become SI). Because we humans are rational beings, I knew it was only a matter of a short time before the US was all metric. After all, we already had decimal money, so we were halfway there.

      And you know how that worked out. :(

      About the same time I was learning that "conventional" current flow, positive to negative, was all a mistake (by Benjamin Franklin), and as soon as we got our wits about us, we'd all agree that real electricity, in the form of electrons, flows from negative to positive. Then we'd be all sorted out.

      I carried that vanity around with me for decades, but when I went back to school for an electrical engineering degree, they said, "We don't care about the facts - current flows from positive to negative".

      So now, mostly, I just shut up and try to use whatever units fall to hand.

      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "geoff burrows" <jeffrey.burrows@...> wrote:

      > Hi Bob,
      > I've read your post but I'll get into the meat of it, if and when I get the grapes but thanks for your information and feed back as well.
      > I was brought on the old British Imperial system at school, ounces, pounds, stones, hundredweights,(cwts), tons, and inches, links, feet, yards, rod pole or perch,(not often used even then), chains, furlongs, miles, etc.
      > I've always used this Imperial to Metric convertor rhyme "Two and a quarter pounds of jam weighs about a kilogram" and everyone should know one litre of clean clear water weighs exactly one kilogram and then do your guesstimations from there
      > Geoff

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic