      From: Ric Cunningham <wilypig@...>
      Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: Malt Extract
      To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, February 27, 2010, 10:21 AM

      Carl
                One pound of Dried malt extract in one gallon(3.8 liters) of water will give you a gravity of about 1.035-1.040. For a 25 liter batch of malt wash I would shoot for a starting gravity of 1.060. please forgive my primitive conversions. I generally think in imperial measurements but work often in metric.

      25 l = 6.6 gallons
      if you think in gravity points (60 gravity units x volume in gallons), then you will need 396 gravity points

      35 points per pound per gallon

      396 points divided by 35 points per pound = 11.3 pounds or 5.1 kg

      So for 25 liters you will need 5.1 kg of dried malt extract for the wash. I would ferment this with a standard ale yeast - dried yeast is fine. Turbo yeast will work but I don't have any experience with it. Let this ferment for 7 days and you are ready to go.

      you could convert the gravity points process to strictly metric and it is a great rule of thumb for formulating fermentations.

      some quick references for gravity points:
      table sugar - 46 points per pound
      honey - 40 points
      maple syrup - 40 points
      Dried malt extract 35 to 40 points
      liquid malt extract - 30 to 35 points

      Happy fermenting.

      On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 8:42 PM, Carl Bols <carlb282@y7mail. com> wrote:

      Hi Ric and Zymurgy Bob,
      I am now the owner of 2 bags of True Dark Malt in powder form. Can you advise me what to do with it. I am only a novice and my friends are only sugar wash distillers and don't know anything else.
      For a 25 litre batch, how much malt, water and yeast do I use.
      I will be forever grateful.
      Best Regards,
      Carl.