36707Re: Corn in the fermenter

    Sep 2, 2009
      Sounds good Shot,

      Yes stirring up once a day is a good idea to keep the yeasties
      suspended.
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Shot Man" <shotman@...> wrote:

      > Good morning,
      > A question on my UJSM. I'm on my 3rd generation and all is bubbling
      away. After I siphon off the beer I remove the small thin layer of
      discolored corn that gets replaced with new cracked corn when I start it
      back up. I immediately pour cool filtered water back on it to keep the
      yeasties happy. When I add my aerated backset mixed with most of the
      sugar I give it a real good stir to completely mix it all the way to the
      bottom. Is this correct or should I try to leave the corn undisturbed? I
      only run 2 1/2 to 3 gallons at a time so it's 2 stripping runs then 1
      spirit run with all the distillate plus water to drop the abv before
      cooking. I've got 1/2 gallon on lightly toasted White Oak and it's
      looking and smelling really nice. I have to keep some of the best hearts
      cause I also like the taste of fresh White Dog. You guys (and gals) are
      the best.
      > Thanks and have a great day,
      > shotman

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic