36706Corn in the fermenter

  • Shot Man
    Sep 2, 2009
      Good morning,
      A question on my UJSM. I'm on my 3rd generation and all is bubbling away. After I siphon off the beer I remove the small thin layer of discolored corn that gets replaced with new cracked corn when I start it back up. I immediately pour cool filtered water back on it to keep the yeasties happy. When I add my aerated backset mixed with most of the sugar I give it a real good stir to completely mix it all the way to the bottom. Is this correct or should I try to leave the corn undisturbed? I only run 2 1/2 to 3 gallons at a time so it's 2 stripping runs then 1 spirit run with all the distillate plus water to drop the abv  before cooking. I've got 1/2 gallon on lightly toasted White Oak and it's looking and smelling really nice. I have to keep some of the best hearts cause I also like the taste of fresh White Dog. You guys (and gals) are the best.
      Thanks and have a great day,
      shotman

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic