36705Re: Hi

  • jazzdoren2k3
    Sep 1, 2009
      Geez, I feel so stupid. I've read the term airbed in so many posts about the angel blasting and kept thinking "airbed" pump was something else for the aquarium. Finally it dawned on me - we're talking about the "oversized raft" commonly used in camping...or on my bunk in my rig!! Now I know exactly what we're talking about. My question now becomes - I know the output nozzle is approximately 3/4" on the battery powered pump we have on the truck...what do you recommend for reducing that to the 3/8" that you said I should use on the copper tubing?

      I know I saw someone say 10 minutes if doing it in a blender -- how long should I do it with the airbed pump? Since it's said that it will reduce the ABV, I was thinking (and correct me if I'm wrong in my thoughts) to angel blast an undiluted product, then measure the ABV and dilute down from there...?

      Thanks for the clarifications. I needed an excuse to buy one of those pumps anyways!

      --Mad Hatter

      > Mad Hatter,
      >
      > You can "blast angels" before or after dilution, with one minor caveat. While reducing the concentrations of the lighter, more offensive, fractions, angel blasting also reduces the ethanol concentration slightly. Depending on how long and hard you blast, your ABV will decrease by a couple of percent, so allow for that.
      >
      > As for using a standard air compressor, I'd be *very* reluctant. Most shop compressors have a lot of oil vapors in the air, and that will add motor oil to your delicate spirit (look at what comes out when you drain the air tank). I'd use a 120V (thanks, Mason) airbed pump from Wal-Mart, if you're in the US. The tip is just 3/8" copper tube with a lot of holes drilled in the side, and the end pinched shut.
      >
      > You can modulate the amount of air blown (it can be a lot) by holding a hand partly over the air intake hole in the pump.
      >
      > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
      >
      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jazzdoren2k3" <jazzvandoren@> wrote:

      > > I've been meaning to ask - on a side note - the angel blasting procedure of aerating after distillation...is that done to the final product from the still, or do I dilute it first? Also, I've got a standard air compressor for filling tires and running pneumatic devices...is there any simple way of adapting a tip to it to achieve the angel blasting effect?
      > >
      > > --Mad Hatter

    • Show all 29 messages in this topic